Wednesday, March 24, 2010

BINOCULAR,THE CHAMPION HURDLE TROPHY,DOES IT GET BETTER??

I was picked up at 8 o clock on the morning of Tuesday 16th March by my very good friend and former colleague Mr Liam Brady and his driver.We set off for the Holy Ground and arrived in great heart just before 12 o clock.I had all my horses picked out,some many months before.We said our hellos to JP,his wife Noreen,Sir Peter O Sullivan the famous commentator,Dermot Desmond the owner of Glasgow Celtic,Mouse Morris the Gold Cup winning trainer,Timmy Hyde and Frank Berry and my great friend Peter Hopkins.There was other people there like the McManus family,Charlie Swan and people coming and going all day.I was quite happy to let the first favourite run without my money,i thought he would win but i dont like them too skinny.However after a couple of glasses of beautiful wine ,i relented and joined every other Irishman with £200 on Dunguib.It finished 3rd.The next race was my banker of the meeting Sommersby.It finished 2nd.My next best bet was Bensalem in the 3rd.By this time i started to feel unwell,probably that wine,so i went out onto the balcony to sit down.I got up about twenty minutes later when i heard the immortal words of the commentator,"they are coming to the second last fence and Bensalem is going really well,he is cantering all over them oh no he has fallen".The Champion Hurdle was next and it was won by our hosts own horse Binocular.I dont think one person in the box backed the horse but you have never heard people shout like they did,every man ,woman and child went apoplectic.I have never seen the Champion Hurdle Trophy up close but i did that day, i touched it.Did not bet in the cross country race and we left before the last,so i ended up losing about £500.
The next day i started the day with £40 at 22/1 my first winner put me £380 up.I also backed Michael Flips whose place odds were 9/1.The next day i backed Ballabriggs at 8/1 but on the friday nothing.I would say over the four days i probably lost about £250 which for four days of unadulterated fun,from 8 o clock in the morning till 6 o clock at night is not too bad.Its now onwards to Aintree and the Grand National meeting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home