Sunday, March 16, 2008

5 days in Heaven for me

On Mon of last week Teresa and i set off for 5 days in Cheltenham.A lot of people who read this will never have been there but believe me its a beautiful place with beautiful architecture and beautiful people.But by far the most beautiful thing about Cheltenham is its racecourse,and on that racecourse for four days every march is held the best racing in the world.Since 1986 when i first had the opportunity to go i have been back every year except last year.I love the place.
We hired a cottage just outside a village about 10 miles from Cheltenham.A lovely place really remote and quiet but awkward.At the races as so often happens you meet old friends and new friends and a great deal of champagne can get drunk.All of which is fine but its a bit awkward when you are knackered in the evening and you want to order a chinese takeaway and you cant get a cab to go pick it up.Such things bothered us last week.
As you may know one days racing was cancelled due to exceptionally high winds,no bother,we just had 10 races one day and 9 the next.As a very keen student of the horses this is the time when your chickens come home to roost,so to speak.I backed Tidal Bay 8/1 the first day,Old Benny 12/1 and Albertas Run 9/2 the second day and Niad du Misselot 10/1 the third day.I also had many good shouts who finished in the frame as in Binocular(2nd),Barbers Shop(2nd),My Petra(2nd),Grand Schlem(3rd),Liskennet(2nd),Miko de Beauchene(2nd),L\aMI(3RD) so all in all it was most enjoyable.We both enjoyed the company and the horses,though i think it was a bit of a culture shock for Teresa,as she normally doesnt like big crowds,but she did ever so well not only having the crowds to deal with but me as well.A person who has had a stroke can be an awkward customer,and believe me when i say this,i can be an awkward customer,though i dont like to admit it.I want to say here and now that i loved Teresa very much before we went to Cheltenham,but i love her more now for taking me and putting up with me.
It would be remiss of me not to wish you all a HAPPY ST. PATRICKS DAY on this the day before the great mans day and to say that on the day itself we will be serving the oul saints favourite tipple,Guinness,at £2 a pint while stocks last and Johnny tells me he is putting a few specials on to bring Ireland a little closer.Have a great day folks see yawl tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home