Tuesday, April 15, 2008

What is the Witch about!

Over the years many people have owned Public Houses and run them in many different ways. The Landlords or owners develop their own persona and generally speaking they gather round them people of like mind and similar interests. For instance, I myself as most people will know spent the first part of my working life in sport, so naturally when I finished playing sport I continued my avid interest in it. Personally speaking I love nearly all sports in some way or other. My favourite sport is of course the beautiful game of Soccer, but that is not to say I do not watch other sports .I love horse racing, international rugby, snooker, golf, cricket and a whole host of minority sports like Gaelic sports, athletics, Australian rules and many more.
When I started in the pub game many years ago now, we watched every game of all sports on TV. When I started the food business, we still watched the sports but in a less dramatic way. I watched every big game, along with friends and it always added to the game.
In August last year I got ill. From that time onwards a change took place and because I was not here I did not realise what was happening. The lad who was here was a rugby follower, which is absolutely fine, and the World Cup was on so he put that first with football nowhere. Not realising of course that the rugby World Cup only lasts six weeks in every four years, whereas football is almost year round. .Like I said earlier, everyone does their own thing but in this instance it is a case of seeing the big picture. Now by this point you will be thinking what he is on about, well, let me tell you. Yesterday Man Utd played Arsenal, as most people who are interested in sport will know. It was a terrific game. I watched that game with maybe 5 other people, when in times gone by it would have been packed. I know that since I got ill things were very uncertain here. People came to watch games only to find they were not being shown, and possibly met with indifference from staff.
I have specifically written this letter so that everyone can know what the situation is. I think that pubs nowadays need all the assistance they can get in putting bums on seats whether they eat or drink and even better if they do both. Football has always been a very important part of my life and I would not be true to myself if I did not support the beautiful game. As much as is possible, the big games will be on. Generally speaking we show football on the sofa side. We will sometimes be able to watch lesser games for fans of smaller teams so ask. Maybe people think because we are a food led outlet that it won’t be on but it will. Obviously the comfort of those eating is important, but in the past we have managed to run things with no problems. As I have also said before football can lend a great atmosphere to the pub.



GERRY

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home